Cost: $20.00 for MNLA Members; $25:00 for Non-Members
50% of the registration cost for this tour will go to the University of Minnesota Urban Forestry Outreach, Research and Extension Nursery.
The urban landscape can be a very harsh environment and often does not reflect ideal growing conditions for many tree species. This walking tour will highlight the good and bad of urban tree performance, planting and maintenance. Along the way we'll have ample opportunity to view and discuss innovative tree planting systems and some of the species used in one of the most urbanized areas in Minneapolis.
Enjoy the opportunity to network and learn from other industry professionals along the way.
This walking tour will appeal to all industry segments, especially design, maintenance, and tree care professionals.
Gary Johnson and Chad Giblin of the University of Minnesota Urban Forestry Outreach, Research & Extension Nursery will be our tour guides.
Attendees will be provided with an interactive map to use while walking (accessed via smartphone). A paper version will be available as well.
This tour will take place rain or shine. Please dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes, as we will be walking for about 2.5 hours.
Tour Itinerary (map below)*
- Arrive at the Convention Center (north side of the building along 2nd Ave.) at 9:15 AM.
- Enjoy a light snack and grab a bottle of water as we check in for the tour.
- At 9:30 AM we will depart.
- Next stop will be a green space on 10th St. between 4th and 5th Aves. This space was developed as part of the Landscape Partnership Project (Mn/DOT).
- Walk northwest on 10th St. to 2nd Ave./Marquette Ave. to observe suspended pavement with porous pavement supported by Silva Cells.
- We'll take Nicollet Mall to Loring Greenway.
- Enter Loring Park from the east between Yale and Grant.
- The tour is complete - approximately 12:00 Noon
We encourage you to visit one of the many restaurants or food trucks in the area and continue networking/discussion over the lunch hour.
There are many parking ramps and parking lots near the Minneapolis Convention Center. Click here for a map.
*Route is subject to change
Registration Refund Policy: For all MNLA education events, we will gladly make a full refund of your registration fee if cancellation notice is received more than two business days prior to the event. If cancellation is received in the two business days prior to the event, a 50 percent refund will be given. No refunds will be given for no-shows or cancellations made the day of the event. Cancellations may be made in writing, by fax, or by telephone call received at the MNLA office during normal business hours.